Wednesday, October 3, 2007

My entry in the Flash Microfiction contest didn't win and wasn't one of the runners-up chosen for publication, so I've decided to post it here and on my other blog. It's Speculative Fiction. The word count limit was 100. Comments welcome.

THE ASSIGNMENT
SF by Hope Chastain
98 words

She’d been on this planet too long, that was the problem. Ariel knew the dangers. It was too easy to start thinking like the natives. That way lay death.

When would she be sent for? Her assignment was almost completed. She’d done everything that Headquarters required. Despite the dangers, she had contacted the Ambassadors and even gotten some of the natives to switch allegiance away from their home world to hers.

Pounding on the door startled her. Booted feet kicked it in. Bullets slammed into her. She was falling, falling---- Up, into the Kingdom Light.

Home at last!

1 comment:

Janna said...

Ooh, I like it! It intrigued me, what more can you ask for 98 words!