Saturday, June 21, 2008

Suggestion for Summer (and Winter!)

If you're like me, and I know a lot of you are, you're finding Daylight Saving Time getting longer and longer, and Standard Time getting shorter and shorter. Since I'm not one to like wasting resources, it occurred to me that we need a new time to switch over the batteries in our smoke alarms. After all, switching after eight months and then four months just doesn't make sense, especially in today's economy.

Here's my suggestion: Choose either the Equinoxes or the Solstices to change the batteries. They come six months apart, giving the batteries a chance to be useful and not wasting them. Just be sure to choose one or the other, so that you aren't changing batteries every season.

I'm choosing the solstices, since summer solstice is today in the northern hemisphere, and winter solstice in the southern hemisphere.

It's just a suggestion, but it could be a life-saver. Pass it on!

No comments: